Me first training
What are the aims of Me first courses?
- Introduce you to the Me first communication model, tools and approaches to support communication with children and young people
Increase your knowledge of the barriers and challenges to communicating with children and young people in health and social care
- Build on your existing skills and increase your confidence in communicating with children and young people
What will it cover?
Me first masterclasses are co-developed with children young people and healthcare staff. They include practical approaches used by health and social care colleagues on what works and doesn’t work for them, and top tips for improving communication in your clinical practice
The course covers communication with:
- younger children
- older children
- children and young people with learning disabilities
- children and young people with communication impairments
- children and young people with hearing and visual impairments
The masterclass is beneficial for all health and social care professionals who work with children and young people clinically. The course is multi-professional and benefits from the diversity of roles and backgrounds that participants have. The masterclass is co-delivered with young people.
The course is suitable for:
- All nurses – community, paediatric, school and practice nurses
- AHPs – including physiotherapists, dietitians, occupational therapists, radiographers, SLT etc
- Emergency department staff
- Doctors – paediatricians, surgeons, anaesthetists, trainees
- Healthcare scientists – neurophysiologists, audiologists, ophthalmologists, etc
- Social workers, play therapists, psychologists
Me first masterclass 20th April 2017: RCPCH has approved this activity for CPD in accordance with the current RCPCH CPD guidelines. Please contact us if you wish to enquire regarding CPD accreditation for another training date.
What will it cover?
Bespoke masterclasses are tailored to a team’s specific needs and allow a team to focus on particular issues, key areas of communication and specialty-related challenges which are pertinent in their workplace. We will come to a venue of your choice within your organisation to deliver the session. The team will share and increase their knowledge of the barriers and challenges to communicating with children and young people in health and social care. With team training, there is also an option for a half day follow up to help embed changes in practice.
We have delivered bespoke in-house sessions to groups of health and social care professionals of the same speciality e.g. student nurses, or wider teams such as Community Education Provider Networks which include health and social care professionals from different clinical areas. Any team who work with children and young people in a health or care setting can benefit from Me first training.
Train the trainer
This course is for people who have attended a Me first masterclass and would like the opportunity to become a Me first trainer.
Aims of Train the trainer:
- To prepare potential trainers for delivering Me first masterclasses.
- To work collaboratively to help develop each other as Me first trainers.
- To develop candidates’ confidence and skills in assisting learners to put the Me first communication model into practice.
Train the Trainer uses a mixture of group work, lectures and rehearsals to achieve these aims. Trainees then practice co-facilitating Me first Masterclasses with one of our lead trainers before being signed off when they are ready.
In order to ensure on-going quality of future Me first training, all candidates will be assessed by the lead trainers during the course and when co-facilitating masterclasses. Peer and self-assessments will also be included. Lead trainers will decide at the end of the Train the Trainer course which candidates have demonstrated the skills required to become a Me first co-trainer. After a period of co-training with one of the lead trainers, candidates must be signed off as fully competent before being able to train in their own organisation. The time scale for this training may vary for each individual. All qualified trainers must comply with Me first terms.
Previous attendance at a Me first masterclass
- To further develop skills in child and young person-centred communication.
- To enable you to teach Me first masterclasses as our bank staff or for your own organisation.
- To develop your confidence and skills in presenting and teaching.